Do you love to draw or paint? We have the perfect new sewing project for you! I am going to show you this Paint Brush Roll-Up Case – An Easy Sewing Project! This is a cute and fun way to store your art supplies. Whether you are on the go or just want some nice organization, this paintbrush roll-up is a fun way to get the job done. This sewing project is perfect for beginners. You can make this in about half an hour or less depending on your skill. You only need to make a few straight stitches for this project. My kids love using these on road trips and playdates. They can pack up all their own paintbrushes and make something creative with their friends. You could also make this to store some of your eyeliner, mascara, and other small beauty items in a super-compact way. I made my kids a few of these in different colors so they could have one for their paintbrushes and one for their colored pencils. This roll-up is much easier to keep up with than those tiny boxes of colored pencils. You could even embroider their names on them if you wanted. Either way, this is a great way to store any of your creative craft supplies.
You’ll only need a few supplies for this project. I picked out some fun tye-dye fabric and some simple twill ribbon. You’ll also need some tailor’s chalk or a fabric marking pen. Other than that, you’ll just need some basic supplies you should already have on hand like fabric scissors, thread, a sewing machine, and some sewing clips. I will always recommend getting a rotary cutter, mat, and ruler if you plan on sewing as a hobby. Once you have all your supplies, we can get started!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Yard of fabric
- Twill tape – 1 roll
- Matching Thread
- Zipper Sewing Foot
- Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, & Ruler
- Iron or heat press
- Thread Clippers
- Sewing Clips
- Tailors chalk (optional)
How To Make A Paint Brush Roll-Up Case
The first thing I like to do on any sewing tutorial is wash, dry, and iron my fabric. This will act as a preshrinking process so that your stitches don’t pull out when you wash this paintbrush roll-up case the first time. Once you have done that, you are going to cut two pieces of fabric 19″ x 19″. You will also cut one piece of fabric 7″ x 19″.
Next, you will take the 7-inch piece of fabric and fold it over about 1″ on one of the 19″ sides. Press the fold.
Now on this how to make a paintbrush roll-up case tutorial, it’s time to sew. Stitch across the fold you pressed to hold it in place.
Place one piece of 19″ x 19″ fabric right side up. Place the hemmed 7″ piece on top of the 19″ piece near the bottom right side up.
Place the other 19″ x19″ piece right side down. Be sure to line the pieces up then clip in place to hold it together.
Cut a 19″ piece of twill tape and place it in the middle of the fabric on the right or left side. I always do right for right-handed and left for left-handed.
Next on this how to make a paintbrush roll-up case tutorial, place the twill long strip in between the two pieces of fabric facing each other. Leave a tab of the twill on the outside and pin or clip. When sewing, be sure to only sew the tab and not the long strip between the two layers.
Starting at the bottom, stitch along all four sides leaving a small hole at the bottom to flip right side in.
Once stitched, clip the corners and flip this right side in. Clipping the corners helps reduce the fabric bulk, just remember when clipping your corners be sure not to cut into your stitching. Now your pocket and the twill tape long piece will be on the outside.
Press the entire piece along with the hole to make sure the raw edges are tucked inside and clean. Topstitch all four sides. This will close the hole and reinforced the twill tape.
Now on this how to make a paintbrush roll-up case tutorial, we will make the pockets for our paintbrushes. Along your pocket mark 1 inch gaps along the top of the fabric with taylors chalk. If you don’t have tailors chalk you can use clips or pins to mark this as well.
Stitch from the top of the pocket to the bottom making vertical pockets along the pocket. These will be the pockets for the paintbrushes. Once complete trim off all excess thread and then place in paintbrushes.
Flip down the top then roll. Use the twill tape to wrap around the roll and secure it. And that’s it! Now you know how to make a paintbrush roll-up case! This is perfect for carrying your art supplies on the go. This would also work well at holding colored pencils or other drawing items. My kids love using these for their creative time during the afternoon. This is such a fun little project, you could make a few and give them away as gifts.
If you liked this paintbrush roll-up case – an easy sewing project, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board or share it with friends on social media. If you decide to make this simple project on your own, make certain that you take a picture afterward and tag us on social media as we love seeing the fabrics and color choices that people use!
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric 19 inches by 19 inches. Cut one piece of fabric 7 tall by 19 inches wide.
- Take the 7-inch piece of fabric. Press a hem at the top. Stitch across.
- Place one piece of 19x19 fabric right side up.
- Place the hemmed 7-inch piece on top of the 19-inch piece near the bottom right side up.
- Place the other 19x19 piece right side down. Be sure to line the pieces up then clip with sewing clips.
- Cut a 19-inch piece of twill tape and place it in the middle of the fabric on the right or left side.
- Place the twill long strip in between the two pieces of fabric facing each other.
- Leave a tab of the twill on the outside and pin or clip. When sewing be sure to only sew the tab and not the long strip between the two layers.
- Starting at the bottom stitch along all four sides leaving a small hole at the bottom to flip right side in.
- Once stitched flip this right side in. Now your pocket and the twill tape long piece will be on the outside.
- Press the entire piece along with the hole to make sure the seam is inside and clean.
- Topstitch all four sides. This will close the hole and reinforced the twill tape.
- Along your pocket mark 1 inch gaps along the top of the fabric with tailors chalk.
- Stitch from the top of the pocket to the bottom making vertical pockets along the pocket.
- Flip down the top then roll. Use the twill tape to wrap around the roll and secure it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fiskars Crafts 95237097J Rotary Sewing Cutting Set (3 Piece), Grey
RUIZHEN Fat Quarters Fabric Bundles (7pcs,18 x 22 inch) Bowknot,Pinecone,Leaf Print Cotton Quilting Fabric for Sewing Green
SINGER 00220 Sewing Gauge, 6-Inch
LIVINGO Premium Tailor Scissors Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Titanium Coating Forged Stainless Steel Sewing Fabric Leather Dressmaking Softgrip Shears Professional Crafting (9.5 INCH)