Felt Christmas ornaments are fun and easy to sew. Use this free pattern and instructions to make adorable Christmas trees for yourself, your friends and your family too!
Kids love making felt Christmas ornaments, and it enhances their skills in color matching, cutting and sewing. Traditional green trees are nice, but Whoville inspired trees are awesome too. What color trees will you make?
Supplies to Make Felt Christmas Ornaments
To make this project kid friendly, choose scissors with rounded tips like these. Felt can be purchased in a variety pack of colors to make your Christmas tree ornament unique. Click on the ‘Download’ button below to print the free pattern template.
Now that you have all the supplies together, you are ready to begin making a felt Christmas tree ornament.
How to Make Felt Christmas Ornaments
Begin by cutting out the paper pattern templates. Trace each template with a marking pen or pencil onto the felt colors you selected. Then carefully cut them out.
Next thread the needle. Stitch the small round circles (ornaments) using a cross stitch to one side of a tree shape.
Now place the tree with ornaments, the tree without ornaments, and the two squares on a flat surface as shown below.
Hold the two square pieces on top of one another, and place them on the bottom middle part of the tree without ornaments. Overlap about 1 cm of the squares with the tree.
Then place the tree with ornaments on top of the plain one, making sure that all sides of the tree pieces match. Begin stitching from the bottom of the tree. A blanket stitch is shown, but a straight stitch will work just fine.
Continue sewing around the tree until you reach 1 cm from the top. Now cut a small piece of ribbon or felt, and fold it in half. It should be long enough to hang the ornament.
Place 2 cm of the open ends of the ribbon or felt strip between the top of the tree pieces. Continue stitching around to the middle of the tree, leaving an opening.
Next use cotton to stuff the tree through the opening between stitches.
Continue stitching around the perimeter of the tree until you reach where you began. Tie a knot in the thread, and cut off any remaining.
Now place the felt star on the top of the tree on the side with ornaments. Do a cross stitch to attach the star.
After stitching the star in place, tie a knot and cut off any extra thread. You made a felt Christmas tree ornament!
Pin this project for later by hovering over an image and clicking on the ‘P’ in the top corner.
- Print the pattern template.
- Cut out the pattern template pieces.
- Trace the template pieces onto felt.
- Cut out felt pieces.
- Sew circle pieces to one side of one tree cut-out.
- Finish with a knot and trim thread.
- Lay the tree pieces and two squares on a flat surface.
- Stack the squares on top of each other, and place them at the bottom center of the tree without ornaments. Overlap about 1 cm.
- Put the tree with ornaments on top of the other.
- Sew together starting from the bottom side.
- Stop sewing 1 cm before the top of the tree.
- Cut a length of ribbon, and fold it in half.
- Place 2 cm of the ribbon ends between the top of the tree pieces.
- Keep sewing around the perimeter of the tree leaving a 2 inch gap.
- Stuff cotton through the opening.
- Continue sewing until reaching where the stitches began.
- Knot and trim thread.
- Stitch the star to the top of the tree.
Get creative by cutting out different shapes and colors for the ornaments on the tree.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
AmazonBasics Multipurpose Office Scissors - 3-Pack
SINGER 01125 Assorted Hand Needles - Betweens, Chenille, Darners, Embroidery, Sharps & Tapestry, Assorted Sizes, 45-Count
LEONIS 30 Color Handy Polyester Sewing Threads 50 Yards/45 m Each[ 93011 ]
LaRibbons Solid Color Satin Ribbon Asst. #2-10 Colors 3/8" X 5 Yard Each Total 50 Yds Per Package
Fairfield Poly Fil Premium Fiber Fill, 32-Ounce
flic-flac 48PCS 8 x 12 inches (20 x 30cm) Assorted Color Felt Fabric Sheets Patchwork Sewing DIY Craft 1mm Thick … (20cm 30cm, 48pcs)
More Beginner Sewing Projects
- Gorgeous Felt Ornaments DIY for the Holidays
- Sew Rice Hand Warmers
- Felt Pencil Toppers Christmas Tree Craft
- Make Your Own Elastic Bowl Covers to Save Food
- How to Make a Scrunchie with Step by Step Photos
- Reusable Snack Bags DIY for Less Waste
- Easy to Sew Plastic Bag Dispenser
- Reusable Dryer Sheets Save on Waste and Money