Single use dryer sheets are filled with toxins that transfer to your clothes and your body. Reusable dryer sheets are simple to make, and much prettier too!
This jar of squares is a wonderful project for those new to sewing to practice straight lines. Really, who cares if your dryer sheets have sewn straight lines anyway?
You can add an essential oil or two of your choice, and your clothes will come out of the dryer soft and fragrant again and again. This is a nice project if you are working toward a zero waste lifestyle or just want to save money.
Supplies for Reusable Dryer Sheets
- 1 yard Flannel Fabric
- 10 Washcloths or 1 yard Terry Cloth Fabric
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Vinegar
- Essential Oil(s)
- Pinking Shears
- All-Purpose Thread
- Pins or Clips
- Sewing Machine
- Glass Jar with Lid
You will need one yard of flannel total. I chose two coordinating fabrics to add interest. Washcloths can be purchased in packs at a discounted price, or cut up a towel or terry cloth yardage.
How to Make Reusable Dryer Sheets
Cut the terry cloth into 5″ x 5″ squares.
Then cut the flannel fabric into 5″ x 5″ squares. Cut as many fabric squares as you have terry cloth squares.
Pin one piece of fabric and one piece of terry cloth with wrong sides together.
Sew all four sides together with 1/4″ seam allowance.
Sew a line down the center of each side or from corner to corner. This prevents the reusable dryer sheets from ‘ballooning’ in the dryer. Repeat until all pieces are sewn together.
Add water, vinegar and essential oil(s) to your container. Add the reusable dryer sheets to the jar. You may want to fold or roll them for aesthetics.
To use, lightly wring a reusable dryer sheet with your hands and place in the dryer with a load of laundry. When the cycle is complete, return the dryer sheet to the jar. Refill with water, vinegar and essential oils as needed.
- Cut flannel fabric into 5" x 5" squares (as many dryer sheets as you are making).
- Cut same number of 5" x 5" terry cloth squares.
- Pin one flannel square and one terry cloth square with wrong sides together.
- Sew all sides with a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Sew from corner to corner to prevent dryer sheets from puffing up in the dryer.
- Repeat until all squares are sewn together.
- Combine water, vinegar, and essential oil(s) in glass jar.
- Add reusable dryer sheets to jar.
Place one dryer sheet in each load of laundry. Return to jar after cycle. Refill water, vinegar, and essential oils as needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.