Are you ready for another amazing sewing project? I know I am and I had a ton of fun creating this one for you! I have always loved zipper pouches so today we will walk through the steps together on How To Sew A Mini Zipper Pouch! I love how versatile these are. You can add some snacks in them for your kiddos and simply toss them into your purse or diaper bag! Don’t have kids? That’s ok, use them in your bathroom to keep your make-up or anything little trinkets you want. They are so easy to make that I know you will be making more! Whether you are a beginner sewer or have been working your machine for a few months, it is always fun to learn new or different techniques. I have made so many of these in my time. They are quick and easy to make and so fun to use. I have children and they love sneaking them out of my stash and using them for their doll clothes, lego pieces, snacks, and even my son who collects rocks.
They are also great to add to a last-minute gift or to use as the “We have another birthday party, what should I bring?” saga that happens at least once a month around here! So once you learn to make one, you can make 100! Remember to have fun picking out your fabrics and sewing this project!!
What You’ll Need:
- 1-yard outer fabric
- 1-yard inside material
- Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, & Ruler
- Thread Clippers
- Sewing Clips
- Thread to match
- 7-inch zipper for the 7-inch mini pouch
- 4-inch zipper for the 4-inch Mini Pouch
- Zipper Foot
- Free Pattern For 4-Inch Pouch
- Free Pattern For 7-Inch Pouch
How To Sew A Mini Zipper Pouch
First on this how to make a mini zipper pouch tutorial, you are going to print out a copy of your pattern and lay it down on the outside fabric you have picked. We used this cute Star Wars print. Use your rotary cutter to go around the outside edge. Make sure you put the cutting mat under your fabrics to protect the surface you are working on.
You will then repeat that process until you have two outside fabrics and two inside fabrics cut. You will end up with four pattern cuts like pictured above.
Next up on this how to make a mini zipper pouch tutorial, lay down one of the inside fabrics right side up and place the zipper on top with the zipper facing up and to the left.
Place one of the outside fabrics face down and line up with the top of the zipper. Clip together along the top to hold the layers and zipper together.
Now on this how to make a mini zipper pouch tutorial, it’s time to sew! Sew along with zipper foot. Place the other inside fabric piece with right side face up. Now place the stitch pieces on top with the zipper facing up to the right and right side fabric of the outer fabric should be facing up. Place the other outside fabric piece on top face side down. Stitch across with zipper foot.
Lay out the pieces with the zipper flat in the middle. Press with iron or heat press. Stitch down both sides of the zipper.
Now that you have your pieces placed on top of each other and pressed you are going to stitch down both sides of the zipper. Now open zipper half way – DO NOT MISS THIS STEP. If you skip opening the zipper you will not be able to open the bag to flip. I have done this so many times before and sometimes STILL do it if I am not paying attention.
Now on this how to make a mini zipper pouch tutorial, we are going to make the keychain strap. Make this about 1 inch wide by however long you would like the strap to be. It can be short for a keychain or long for a wristlet. Fold in half lengthwise and then press. Fold in half again and press.
Next you are going to add a stitch to it lengthwise to secure the edges so it doesn’t unravel later with use.
In this step, you are going to pin the strap to the left of the zipper at the top. The end of the zipper will face out and the loop of the zipper in. Stitch across.
Lay the two outer sides together and the two insides together. Make sure the zipper is half open and flat to the way it naturally wants to go. Clip around the edges all the way around.
Sew all the way around but leave and opening at the bottom of the inside fabric so you can do the magic flips and tuck it in in the next step.
Ok, now for your last step in this how to make a mini zipper pouch tutorial! Flip the pouch right side in then pull out the lining and stitch the hole closed. Place the lining back inside the pouch. The bag is now ready to use!
Wasn’t that such a fun and easy sewing project? Now you know how to make a mini zipper pouch. Maybe that was your first time sewing something with a zipper. They can be a little tricky. I remember the first time I sewed a project with a zipper and after I was finished I realized I had sewn the zipper upside down. So we are always learning as we go with each project we do together like this one! I hope you had fun and can’t wait to see what you made! I love seeing people’s personalities come out in their sewing projects with the fabrics they choose! Please make sure to follow along with our other sewing projects and together we will make some super cute things!
If you liked learning how to sew a mini zipper pouch, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board or share it with friends on social media. If you decide to make this simple project on your own, make certain that you take a picture afterward and tag us on social media as we love seeing the fabrics and color choices that people use!
- Cut two mini shapes of outside fabric and two mini pouches of inside fabric from pattern.
- Lay down inside fabric right side up. Place zipper on top with the zipper facing up and to the left.
- Place outside fabric face down and line up with the top of the zipper. Clip together.
- Sew along with zipper foot.
- Place the other inside fabric shape with right side face up.
- Now place the stitch pieces on top with the zipper facing up to the right and right side fabric of the outer fabric should be facing up. Place the other outside fabric piece on top face side down.
- Stitch across with zipper foot.
- Lay out the pieces with the zipper flat in the middle.
- Press with iron or heat press.
- Stitch down both sides of the zipper.
- Now open zipper halfway - DO NOT MISS THIS STEP. If you skip opening the zipper you will not be able to open the bag to flip.
- Make the keychain strap.
- Fold in half lengthwise and then press. Fold in half again and press. Stitch it lengthwise.
- Pin the strap to the left of the zipper at the top. The end of the zipper will face out and the loop of the zipper in. Stitch across.
- Lay the two outer sides together and the two insides together.
- Clip and sew all the way around but leave and opening at the bottom of the inside fabric. Stitch.
- Flip the pouch right side in then pull out the lining and stitch the hole closed.
- Place the lining back inside the pouch. The bag is now ready to use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
100PCS Colorful Craft Sewing Clips for Quilting,Multipurpose Sewing Accessories Sewing Clips Wonder Clips
Brother Sewing Machine, XM2701, Lightweight Sewing Machine with 27 Stitches
Meillia 6PCS 60 Inch #3 Double Slider Zippers Closed End Nylon Coil Zippers for Sewing, Crafts, Bags, Pillowcases, Bed Sacks, Decorating (60" 6 Colors)
Rotary Fabric Cutter Set, Audab Self Healing Sewing Mat with 45mm Fabric Rotary Cutter and Replacement Rotary Blades for Sewing Fabric Quilting and Crafting